[CQ-Contest] Ionospheric heating

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Ionospheric heating
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth E. Harker)
Date: Mon Apr 9 15:59:07 2001
On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 08:08:22PM -0400, K3BU@aol.com wrote:
 >                        ... I have heard some stations reporting and having
 > enhanced propagation when sitting on frequency, calling CQs and being
able to
 > hear stuff that wasn't "hearable" otherwise.

The more you call CQ, and the more stations of all signal strengths you work,
the more likely you are to attract weak stations to call you.  But there
are plenty of other explanations for this phenomena than "ionospheric heating."
Another possible explanation is that the more activity there is on a
frequency, the more likely the casual operator with the small station is to
notice, stop, and think about calling in - activity generates stuff that
wasn't "hearable" otherwise.

 > I don't know what exactly is going on, just stating what was observed. No
 > government contract to study the phenomena, and no "scientwific" paper
 > available.

No, actually, your original post was more than stating what you have observed.
You drew a very specific conclusion as to what was causing the phenomena.
You even referred to it as "well known."

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences         President, UT Amateur Radio Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops