[CQ-Contest] Does Dayton hurt the WPX CW Contest?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Does Dayton hurt the WPX CW Contest?
From: k8cc@mediaone.net (k8cc)
Date: Wed Apr 18 20:27:13 2001
At 10:56 PM 4/17/01 -0400, Bill Fisher W4AN wrote:
 >So I'm just wondering...  Has the Dayton Hamvention move to the weekend
 >before WPX CW hurt the contest attendance?  Is anyone else missing the WPX
 >who might have otherwise operated because of Dayton?

WPX CW hurt more than anything else by the fact that it on Memorial Day
weekend.  I'm single, so I'm the only one who has to approve my operating
the contest, but its real hard to roust up a multi-operator crew because of
the holiday and all the competing family events.

A golden opportunity existed when Dayton QSY'd to may for CQ to move WPX CW
to Dayton's *old" weekend of the last weekend in April.  I never heard the
reason why WPX CW never moved - apparently the sponsors either never
thought of it (doubtful) or else they did not want to move it for
"tradition" reasons.

It was not all that long ago that there was no WPX CW - only SSB.  Putting
WPX CW on Memorial Day weekend was a very dumb move from the
beginning.  Apparently the sponsors care less about American activity that
whatever the poor choices were that led to choosing the date they did.

Obviously, I *would* like to see WPX CW moved to some non-holiday weekend.

73,

Dave/K8CC