[CQ-Contest] E-QSLs

Subject: [CQ-Contest] E-QSLs
From: k4oj@tampabay.rr.com (Jim White, K4OJ)
Date: Sat May 5 10:06:48 2001
N0FP while enthusiastic has missed a whole element of WHY e-QSLing may not
be the solution to collecting cards.

I just got done going to my bank yesterday to sign a bunch of forms -
someone has gotten hold of my debit card information on the internet and is
running up unauthorized purchases...while there is not as "much" motivation
financially to mess with E-QSLs the internet is still far form
secure...despite 32 bit encryption, etc.

In my opinion DXCC's standard of quality as an award was lessened when field
checking was established...I am not pointing fingers but know there is NOW
an uncertain element - kinda like when we used to wonder about the hams with
Conditional Class licenses....

There are certain "characteristics" present in a hard copy of a QSL which
CANNOT at this point in technology exist in an E-QSL...yes, we have come a
long way with the internet and high tech but a "bad" forgery is not going to
bite you when you look at it in a E-QSL like it would when a hard QSL passes
through your fingers!  A unique signature is no longer present, etc.

Coupling the lack of security present in the internet and the inherent lack
of tactile feedback form an E-QSL being in a hurry to accept them is an
error in judgment.

While the ARRL does many things with a financial motivation (it is your
membership dollars and they are non-profit so it is tough to argue with
that) I believe this is more about a further deterioration of the quality of
what one man made THE award to have, the one that set you apart - saying "I
have DXCC" used to really be an awesome thing, it is not as impressive
anymore and a misguided rush to adopt E-QSLs would further cheapen THE ham
radio community's banner award.

73,

Jim White, K4OJ