[CQ-Contest] JARL/AA

Subject: [CQ-Contest] JARL/AA
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Tue Jun 19 11:31:46 2001
VE6YP:
>What happens if you do not use CT ??  -- or is CT the only acceptable
>contest program used by contesters??

        From the AA Webpage instructions:

"For NA, TR-log or any other kinds of logging software users, please pay
attention just like CT users.

<LOGSHEET TYPE=CT>
name of logging software.
ex. CT ,TR-LOG , NA , HOMEBREW"

>In what way is the format similar to Cabrillo (other than recording
>logging information). There is a stronger relationship to XML.

        1.  ASCII text file.
        2.  Single file includes all info (summary plus log).
        3.  Tags defining each section.

>Seems to me that YALSF (yet another log submission format) is not
>needed since a few competent folks have devoted reasonable efforts to
>construct ham radio log standards specifically for contesting (with
>some obvious missing components).  I think it would be more
>appropriate if JARL at least attempted to extend an existing ham radio
>defined standard rather then invent a new one.

        Lighten up guys...at least JARL is getting there.  Ten years ago
Japan wasn't even using IBM/DOS computers (their standard was the NEC PC).
I repeat...it is not a giant step from where they are to Cabrillo so
hopefully they will migrate to that next year...their format this year
is really not all that difficult especially since they "decided to accept
all E-mailed submission with any kinds of format at least this year."
There is probably something in their system which does not allow for
attachments but it is no big deal to copy a file into E-mail text.

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV