[CQ-Contest] QST vs. NCJ

Subject: [CQ-Contest] QST vs. NCJ
From: rjohnson@tmlp.com (Bob Johnson)
Date: Sat Jan 12 20:05:12 2002
Hi:
Being a Life Member of the NRA since 1963 I can only say that one of the worst
things the NRA did was to fractionate the membership into "Us and Them" when
they came out with "The American Rifleman" and the "American Hunter" option
for
the membership !!!

I see the ARRL doing the same thing right now !!!

I would like to see the League get rid of the NCJ and QEX and put the pages,
money and coverage back into QST !!!  Add QST pages not cut them.  Get more
advertising revenue for a single publication that encompasses ALL aspects of
Ham Radio !!!

Now that I think about QEX and the acquisition of Communications Quarterly
from
CQ Magazine, I can only see another move by the "BOD" that futher serves
wasted
League money and fractionat the membership.  I never saw any improvement in
QEX
after the incorporation of Communications Quarterly except that CQ
Publications
was glad to get rid of a loser !!!  As a result I let my subscription to QEX
expire and did not bother to renew. My kids used to give me QEX for my
birthday
or Fathers' Day, I now get the money for a present and spend it on Ham Radio
goodies at the local "Candy Store".  It's the League's loss (and mine in a
way), a great big "thank you" to the "BOD", for your incompetence in making
this decision !!!

73
Bob, K1VU

At 09:53 AM 01/11/02 , you wrote:

>You guys may not have seen this mentioned on the contest reflector,
>or may not have given it serious consideration, but I think you
>should.
>
>Should contest coverage be effectively removed from QST, as I feel it
>will be, why not offer the members the choice of which periodical
>they receive?
>
>I know other membership organizations do this (such as the NRA).
>
>At this point, I think I would choose NCJ over QST, as there is
>generally little in QST of interest to me other than contest
>coverage.
>
>Would this not represent additional cost savings to the League?
>
>73 de Lee
>

>--
>Lee Hiers, AA4GA
>Cornelia, GA