[CQ-Contest] QST vs. NCJ

Subject: [CQ-Contest] QST vs. NCJ
From: W2CS@bellsouth.net (Gary J. Ferdinand)
Date: Mon Jan 28 09:45:03 2002
I think the sugggestion of eliminating QEX/NCJ and putting them into QST
deserves a bit more thought.

Certainly there are fixed costs involved with having multiple magz that
would be eliminated entirely.  Then we are faced with the difference in per
page costs between QST and the others.

Have the Board considered making QST production cheaper per page, rather
than going for elimination of content (which has the concommittant effect of
lower advert prices and thus revenue - it's a spiral), holding per page
costs constant or increasing?

Just to use an extreme example to make the point, what if QST were published
using the same style, paper, and overall publication quality as NCJ?  What
would the cost per page be then?

Yeah, it wouldn't look as nice, but the contents would be superior (more
content) and the advertisers the same or even broadened.  From a readership
perspective, it would be all inclusive, which means we'd be exposed to
contesting, moonbounce, construction articles, technical discussion, station
improvement designs, ... all of an advanced nature.  I for one would LOVE
such a magazine since it would expose me to the many different facets of the
hobby in a non-trivial way.

I'm suggesting more than just backing off from the full-color decision.
Dunno. Maybe the magazine manufacturing outfits would view such as pub as
requiring special setup and thus cost more.  But has anyone considered
recombination of NCJ/QEX/QST and cutting back on production costs?

Gary W2CS

http://www.arrl.org/
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box J, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone: 860-668-5444