[CQ-Contest] Contest Annual

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest Annual
From: kc5ajx@hotmail.com (Rick Bullon)
Date: Mon Jan 14 03:47:44 2002

>I was never left with that impression from Mr. Bellows.

I may have read this wrong. I think when they took the DXCC listings out of
QST they came up with the DXCC yearbook ( or something like that) if you
wanted to know who made the DXCC list that year you had to buy the yearbook.
I automatically assumed they would do the same with the contest results.
Instead of putting them on the website they would publish all the results
for the year in the Contest Annual. So I may have mistaken the suggestion of
Mr Bellows

>You guys have this
>built-in hatred of the ARRL and the administration.

No we don't hate the ARRL ( at least I don't) we just don't like the way
they are changing thinks. They have decided that this is the way it is and
if we don't like it tough.
We would have at least had a chance to give some input on the changes before
they were decided.

>Have you ever met these
>people?  You elected them.  Better yet, run for something useful instead of
>standing around and bitching about the price of your last field day pin.
>From my experience the ARRL staff devote an enormous amount of their time
>and effort to further the cause (oh great, more hate mail).  Rather than
>throwing axes at anything that moves, try making some positive suggestions.
>Don't just stand there making the rest of us listen to you mindlessly
>moving
>your lips, do something constructive!

Ok this is what we need from the ARRL as far as contest coverage.
An article after each contest showing contesters in action ( hey guys this
is where we come in to help hint hint).
A basic rundown on how this contest was better or worse than last ie

Number of logs submitted were better/worse than last year,
Overall scores were better/worse than last year
What Records were broken this year.
Maybe a few comments on how this year was better/worst than last year etc.

On the web site we need
Contest results posted in a timely manner ( a month or two) including the
top ten and winners in each category that a award was presented
Access to all the logs submitted ( so we can see if the NIL was my fault or
the other guys) and so we can plan strategies for next year
Have the logs searchable for stations like mine so I can see if I lost
because of operator skill ( more than likely) or because the other guy had a
better station but in the same class as mine.

I am sure others will add to this list.

>You assume that the annual will exclude all other media.  Did you read
>something I did not?

I did take it differently than you did yes. But like I stated above I could
have read it wrong.

>Never have I been left with the impression that the
>ARRL hates contests, contesters, their scores>

They don't hate us but I would say most of the other members of the ARRL do
especially during contest weekends.