[CQ-Contest] Contest Cookbook

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest Cookbook
From: discreetly_confidential@yahoo.com (Chuck)
Date: Wed Jan 23 11:49:37 2002
At the risk of opening a LARGE can of worms and adding to
the already squirming and writhing bunch currently on the
table, I would like to suggest this.

Let's move ahead with our ideas for a Contest-oriented
publication.  The interest is there.. the enthusiasm to
contribute is there.. and the ability to get it done
exists. We have the knowledge and skills availbale in our
circle to 'peer review' the articles to make sure the
technical side is accurate as we can make it and the
factual presentations are, well, factual and honest.

If, after we do it, we have some kind of reasonable,
tangible  product to offer we can present the ARRL (through
the contest branch) with 'our ideas and product' and that
may make it more palatable since it's a 'meal that's
already cooked.. all they have to do is arrange it so it
looks nice to them' and saves them time, energy, and mental
thought.

Again.. if they dont' like it.. well, we have resources
we've not tapped yet for distribution and production. So..
ONWARD!

In fact.. since MANY contest-specific issues ('A Single
Tower Station') have DIRECT application to ANYONE who might
wish to (or be planning to) install a tower, it spills over
into the non-contest world, immediataly cross-pollinating
that environment -'If we print it.. they will come'

'Setting Up Your Station' so it is an effective,
comfortable contest setup has direct application to ANYONE
who wants a comfortable 'fun to operate' station layout.

Audio routing, power routing, RF routing, grounding, cable
layout, ergonomics (learned from the REAL WORLD of sititng
there for 12  hours fiddling with the dials), etc.

My own case revoles around a submission dealing with
oppoing at a real contest station M/M for after a lot of
years of being 'away' from it. (Tentative title is I have
for my own contribution) 'THE THRILL OF VICTORY AND THE
AGONY OF 'DE SEAT' which relates to becoming involved,
after a lot of years, with a real contest group and opping
a serious strechth of time with the inherent learning that
comes from it.

So.. if someone wants to spear head the collection and we
can arrange a group of INTERESTED folks who have some
skills in editing, review, and the like.. let's go for it.

First step in a long journey is the hardest part.

Ok?

Can opened.. Worms spilled.. Commence squirming!

73

Chuck K3FT
Reply to k3ft@erols.com