[CQ-Contest] Contest Cookbook

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest Cookbook
From: Ed.Goss@jhuapl.edu (Goss, Ed)
Date: Thu Jan 24 09:33:58 2002
Hello,

Although I've been a fairly inactive contester in recent years, I still
maintain an interest in that aspect of the hobby.  I had toyed with the idea
of a manual for high-performance operating -- perhaps something I could get
some PVRCers interested in contributing to, as many contesters are also
DXers.  I put together a Table of Contents, but never did anything with it
This thread on a contest book prompted me to dig it out.

At the time I was thinking of a combined "handbook/operating" manual, with
the working title of:

        HIGH PERFORMANCE AMATEUR RADIO
        Station Design and Operating
        A Guide for Contesting and DXing

Table of Contents to go something like:

History/Background
Training/Building Interest
Station Design Concepts
        -utilization of existing space
        -selection of equipment...xcvrs, amps, keyers, etc.
        -human factors...tables, chairs, equipment orientation
        -cooling
        -QSK
        -auto-tuning
        -filters, DSP
        -voice keyers, microphones, headphones
        -useful hamfest items
        -station safety
Antenna Design
        -towers
        -antenna itself, materials, construction techniques
        -feedlines
        -switching
        -lightning protection
        -setup and maintenance
Computer Interface and Software
        -controlling antennas
        -logging
        -interface with equipment
        -QSLing
        -packet
        -keyboard design
Operating Stategies
        -Contests...SO2R, low power, multi-op, wire antennas only, etc.
        -High band, VHF strategies
        -DXing
        -propagation
        -CW vs Phone
        -special techniques...RTTY, etc.
        -spotting
        -nutrition, thoughts on food and hydration
        -emergency repairs, contigency/backup equipment
        -tips and tricks
        -the day after...lessons learned
        -breaking pileups
        -lists