[CQ-Contest] eQSL change of policy

Subject: [CQ-Contest] eQSL change of policy
From: wn3vaw@fyi.net (Ron Notarius WN3VAW)
Date: Mon Apr 8 15:27:24 2002
Most of the cards I've been getting lately have either been filled out by
hand, or the label has been either signed or stamped in some way to indicate
"verified by" the QSL manager(s) and their assistant(s).

While it is true that it's not that hard to make up a card, making up a full
color glossy card using the same photo(s) as many of the DXpeditions use
today, well, that's another story.  And I really can't believe it would be
worth all the time, effort, and money to duplicate most of these cards, and
make them convincing enough to pass muster -- and why would you bother with
anything but the toughest ones anyway?

I think we can accept, though, that if someone is really determined enough,
they can fool the system -- and since people check the cards, mistakes
happen and invalid cards are sometimes accepted (and good ones not).  Be so
as it may...

Look, the electronic QSL concept isn't neccesarily a bad one.  eQSL.cc's
implementation of it has, sadly, left a lot to be desired -- they may have
been "first," but I sure wish they'd gotten it right instead.

But what keeps getting overlooked, in the zeal of some to get their printed
eQSL .jpg files accepted, is that what's really important isn't the eQSL
"card" but the log data behind that card.  Now come up with a way to
securely store and access that log data, so that any organization issuing
awards can electronically verify an award application without having to
check over QSL cards, and you've got something that's a real breakthrough.
And those of us who still feel the old fashioned "QSL card is the last
courtesy of a QSO" mantra can still exchange cards either via paper or
electronically as we so choose.

73, ron wn3vaw

"There's No Crying in Baseball!"
-- Jimmie Dugan, "A League of Their Own"