[CQ-Contest] eQSL change of policy

Subject: [CQ-Contest] eQSL change of policy
From: ei4hq@qsl.net (Cormac, EI4HQ)
Date: Tue Apr 9 20:35:24 2002
Firstly thanks to all for answering the questions I posted in relation to
this thread on Saturday.

I emailed eQSL.cc and requested information on the "new" InBox situation.
Specifically I asked them about the strictness of the time match. The answer
I consider to be perfectly reasonable is that an acceptale match is one
where the times are within +/- 1 hour of each other.  Sure if you're time
zones are screwed up then you might have a problem but otherwise I can't see
how that aspect of things would be a cause of upset for anyone. Everyone
does keep their logs (those that are required to...) in UTC... don't they?

A few general comments;

I'd consider how ARRL treats DXCC to be entirely up to them as its their
award. Hence the introduction, arrangements & management of LotW and their
acceptance/rejection or otherwise of eQSL.cc entirely up to them. If you
don't like what they're doing then don't apply for the award - otherwise
accept the rules as they make them...

I'm quite frankly amazed that US stations are not legally required to keep
logs anymore - no doubt it was debated high up and low down at the time but
seems nuts to me. How do I know that any US station I QSL has any idea I've
worked them - sounds like I could (feasibly) attempt random qsling and
probably get enough cards to claim WAS... almost worth trying as an
experiment :o) Also it must make enforcement & policing more difficult -
perhaps this is a good thing in the eyes of a certain portion of the ham
population ;o)

Those who QSL out of courtesy - there are many who appreciate your efforts
and I can see how the changes could cause inconvenience. However I suspect
anyone really serious about QSLs is still primarily in paper mode and will
be for sometime. eQSL is, at the end of the day, an "early implementer". No
doubt a consensus will be reached eventually. The amateur radio community is
no different to the world IT community - open standards etc. are a LONG time
coming and we're not there yet...

Cormac, EI4HQ
via buro, direct, eQSL.cc and any other way someone wants a QSL...