[CQ-Contest] Consider This

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Consider This
From: ken.claerbout@equant.com (ken.claerbout@equant.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 14:27:10 2002
   At the risk of beating a horse that has assumed room temperature a long
time ago,   Randy (K5ZD) is absolutely right.  There are far more variables
involved than just SO1R vs SO2R.
  Do we also start separate listings for those who have a single yagi as
opposed to a stack of two or three?  They certainly have an advantage.  Two
or three towers are certainly better than one.  What do we do there?  How
about those who use something like a 1000MP with dual VFO's as opposed to a
transceiver with a single VFO?  Yes the playing field is not level and it
never will be completely.
  I look back at my situation several years ago.  I wanted to be
competitive with guys in the Top Ten.  SO2R was just one piece of the
overall puzzle.  K3ZO was beating me rather consistently on 15 meters.
Rather than suggest we place people with 8 element yagis at 160 feet in a
different category, I upgraded my 15 meter antenna system within the
confines of my available real estate (1 acre) and financial ability.  To
me, that's what contesting is about.
  If you choose not to operate SO2R for whatever reason, that's fine.  It
doesn't however,  make an argument to sub-divide the Single Operator
category anymore than it does for some of the other so called advantages
noted above (single yagi vs stacks, etc.).

73
Ken K4ZW

Dick,

         I sent mail to this reflector over a yearago mirroring your
suggestions that SO2R be a separate category but the guys that
already run SO2R don't want to hear it now that they have the
advantage.

        I also suggested that each contest summary that posted on
the reflectors etc, have a column indicating whether SO2R was utilized.
That's all, do it for a couple years then look at all teh results and you
will seee that the
top guys are USUALLY on top. Yes, sometimes an SO2R station gets beat but
that is
due to other factors like a poor Op or lack of good equipment/antennas.

Bottom line, just list it in results.

73, Dennis  N6KI