[CQ-Contest] Consider This

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Consider This
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Tue Apr 23 15:36:45 2002
On 4/23/02 7:01 AM, Ivo PEZER, 5B4ADA at 9a3a@spidernet.com.cy wrote:

>SO2R is just one of the latest developements that have caused many concerns.

SO2R is not a recent development. SO2R operating is decades old.

Contrary to the conventional wisdom, SO2R isn't a matter of buying
equipment. Having two radios doesn't suddenly given you an overwhelming
advantage.

Further, consider the efforts of Fred, K3ZO. He manages to hold his own
quite nicely with just one radio.

--

Technology has also made the issue entirely confused. For a couple of
years I have made the statement that the FT-1000D has 95% of the required

Now comes TenTec with their Orion. I have yet to hear back from the Sales
department on my question, but I would be quite surprised if it couldn't
receive while transmitting.

SO2R operation is effectively two receivers and one transmitter run by
one operator. Since only one signal is on the air at a time, and all
logging, spotting and operating is done by the single operator, it
properly belongs in the Single-Operator category.

There is no need for a new category.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901