[CQ-Contest] Restoring High Band/Low Band categories in ARRL DX Test

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Restoring High Band/Low Band categories in ARRL DX Test
From: kl7ra@blizzard.gcgo.nasa.gov (KL7RA)
Date: Wed Jun 19 05:23:32 2002
Dave, K6LL writes:

>I'd like to see the High Band (10, 15, 20) and Low
>Band (40, 80, 160) categories restored in the ARRL
>DX Test.

I would like to add my humble vote "yes" to this idea.

As Dave mentions in his list of reasons, I'm one of those
ops that has been doing single band efforts the last few
years because I get whipped like a rented mule on 80/160.
Even with good conditions and high Q totals my "all band"
scores are pathetic.

Normally I don't subscribe to the idea of making changes
just to allow more folks into the winning circle but this is a
good idea. It will allow the low banders the weekend for
non radio stuff and the highbanders some sleep. As the
cycle swings the crowd will shift from high to low.

The ops that win "all band" will still win "all band", of course,
as I doubt they would be interested in this idea. Their plaque
would still look the same with or without high/low divisions
but their scores might be reduced overall somewhat as some
stations will refuse to move up/down.

There is no down side to Dave's idea. You might be against
it if you were serious about getting the world record but that's
a long way off now and maybe never happen as TVI and old
age wipes us out one by one.

73 Rich KL7RA