[CQ-Contest] Re: QST Line Scores

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: QST Line Scores
From: W2CS@bellsouth.net (Gary Ferdinand W2CS)
Date: Fri Jul 26 10:21:21 2002
Dave,

Your expose brought back some personal memories that were very similar.  As
a kid I, too, would pour over contest line scores and imagine what kind of
station and op skills were required to be in that top ten list.  Or, plot
how I was going to beat the kid across town who thoroughly trounced me in a
SS with only dipoles.  I'd analyze the hell of them.  Hell, I still do!

Kids of today (kids of all ages, but "kids") will have no problem doing the
same thing with the internet results.  In fact, the various
searching/sorting will likely improve it a bit.  As we, the contesting
community, become accustomed to this resource, I'm sure the copy will
improve as will pictures and station descriptions.

Bud, K2KIR, made an excellent point when he expresses concern about losing
the line scores as web sites change, systems crash, etc.   A hundred
thousand printed copies probably stand a better chance of being kept safe
over time than web site content does.

I don't know if ARRL HQ still does this, but years ago they would keep at
least one copy of every QST (and other League pub) ever published.  It was
neat to visit HQ and be able to pull one of these and gingerly look through
it.  Something equivalent to that really needs to be implemented for the
computer line scores and writeups.  In many ways these contest results,
pictures and station descriptions are our history.  They show what we looked
like (gads!), bring back memories of that equipment we thought was state of
the art (we really made Qs with THAT?), and sets a statistical base for
comparision with future efforts (nr of participants, top scores, scores vs
sunspot cycle, ...).

What's the best way of preserving web site content for the future?  I'm a
user of the web, not a web site architect.  Is it possible to capture a
"snapshot" of the ARRL site or subset thereof that can be activated later
and still work?  (Note this implies probably storing the computer image on
which it resides, and maybe at some points the computer itself,  so that
supporting software is part of the archive.)  I don't think the equivalent
of a batch of QSTs in a climate-controlled room is easily accomplished.

But it should be done.

73,

Gary W2CS
Apex, NC