[CQ-Contest] Re: QST Line Scores

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: QST Line Scores
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Fri Jul 26 12:17:04 2002
On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Mark Beckwith wrote:

> Zack asked:
>
> > Yes, but can they string up a 40 meter dipole?  Solder parts onto a PC
> > poard? (I won't even say surface-mount IC's.)  Replace a water pump on an
> > Intrepid? (I replaced a water pump on a 1963 Chevy when I was 16, but
> > replacing one on an Intrepid may well be impossible :-)
>
> Well, one of them can put up a dipole, I know.  He's licensed and has
> antennas up.  I helped, too.  I know another one of them can do his own
> major car repairs.  I don't know if any of them solder.
>
> It's a good point, Zack, but my comment was mostly aimed at "where
> youngsters are most likely to bump into contest results."  I think they are
> more likely to find it by random webbing than by walking down the street and
> seeing QST any more.
>
> Mark, N5OT

Yes, it sure is easier to locate them on the web than in other places.  I
haven't even looked at any of the local magazine stands in years, so I
don't know if QST or CQ or any ham radio mags are there.

W2EV recently made an example file of what can be done with line scores
on internet that would take up way too much space in a magazine.  His
example was for a VHF QSO party.  Lots of extra data including antennas
used and gain on each band, elevation above MSL, elevation above average
terrain, power on each band, etc. The extra space isn't so much of a
concern on internet.  So lots of pictures can also be posted.

That sort of thing might get some youngsters excited.  It would probably
get me excited, too!

73, Zack W9SZ