[CQ-Contest] making lemonade (was: ARRL report on line scores decision)

Subject: [CQ-Contest] making lemonade (was: ARRL report on line scores decision)
From: n2mg@eham.net (Michael Gilmer)
Date: Fri Jul 26 22:52:59 2002
VE5ZX wrote:

> >Maybe to encourage people to join the ARRL?  Seems a reasonable goal
since
> >they are sponsoring the event...
>
> A more reasonable goal would be to encourage more participation in
contests.

I don't think this is what makes a "membership" organization tick.  ARRL
sponsors the contests precisely TO attract membership.  They don't have
members so they can sponsor contests.  In fact,  there are plenty at HQ who
would rather not have contests at all.

> I doubt if this is accomplished by penalizing non-ARRL entries.

Since we're talking about lemonade, I'd say they don't penalize non-member
entries, but rather,  they reward member entries.

I'm sure it's no small thorn in the ARRL's side that non-members expect to
be treated with the same respect that members are. Can't really fault the
League for that.  And I really don't fault non-USA folks for not joining the
ARRL but I do fault them for expecting equal treatment (maybe that's the
American in me talking?).  Sure, ARRL "needs" as many DX ops as possible to
operate in their contests in order to make the contests attractive enough
that folks will have fun - fun which will inspire some of these same folks
to become members.  If they ever conclude that fun-contests does not equate
to new-members, bye-bye (ARRL sponsorship of) contests.

73 Mike N2MG