[CQ-Contest] making lemonade (was: ARRL report on line scoresdecision)

Subject: [CQ-Contest] making lemonade (was: ARRL report on line scoresdecision)
From: jskatz@sk.sympatico.ca (Sylvan Katz)
Date: Fri Jul 26 17:09:30 2002
>Maybe to encourage people to join the ARRL?  Seems a reasonable goal since
>they are sponsoring the event...

A more reasonable goal would be to encourage more participation in contests.
I doubt if this is accomplished by penalizing non-ARRL entries. In some
contest I understand that now the DX logs account for 50% of the logs - many
or most of which are not the contestants are not ARRL members. (see
http://www.designet.com/k1ir/Downloads/ContestProposal_071702.pdf ). They
are penalized by a 30 day policy that with holds results --- now really does
this inequity increase membership or encourage greater participation?

I kind doubt it. On the other hand I have heard a rumor that this inequity
is likely to disappear with the movement of line scores to the web. This
would be great news for the international contest community!

Now we wait and see :-)

.. sylvan

????
Sylvan Katz, VE5ZX
Saskatoon, SK
"A Novel Perspective of Amateur Radio Contesting" at
http://www.dynamicforesight.com/~ve5zx