[CQ-Contest] ICOM 775 vs ICOM 756 PRO 2 vs YAESU FT 1000 MP5

Subject: [CQ-Contest] ICOM 775 vs ICOM 756 PRO 2 vs YAESU FT 1000 MP5
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com (Cqtestk4xs@aol.com)
Date: Thu Aug 22 23:01:04 2002
Ah, the joys of living in Florida...another lightning hit.  It looks like the
main xcvr, an Icom 775 is toast.  The other 775 was not in line so it looks
like it is clean.

Insurance will be buying a new transceiver and since the 775 is approximately
the same price, if not more than the 756 Pro and the FT 1000MP5, it looks
like decision time.  I loved the 775 and am tempted to get another.  The
reliability and simplicity of use are great.  I have also heard very nice
things about the 756 and the 1000.

I am primarily a phone contester and like the fact that both the 775 and the
1000 put out more than 100 watts which is handy for contests with the 150
watt limit.  I do operate some CW and plan on doing more in the future but my
main love is SSB contests.

Some of the review posts suggest quality control is more of an issue with
Yaesu than Icom.  More trips back to the shop, but some suggest the 1000 is
the ultimate rig.

My question is this:  knowing what my operating habits are, if you were in my
shoes and price were no object, which of the three would you purchase and
why.  Also which of the stock filters would you recomnmend. You can either
send the suggestions and critiques to me or post them.  I am not trying to
start a war of Icom vs Yaesu, only to get a feeling from the community about
the pros and cons of each.  .This should be interesting.

Thanks for the help.

Bill K4XS

multipart/alternative
  text/html