[CQ-Contest] TS-850 vs. TS-940

Subject: [CQ-Contest] TS-850 vs. TS-940
From: Timothy.Urban@wc.ey.com (Timothy.Urban@wc.ey.com)
Date: Tue Sep 3 10:41:29 2002
Just my opinion, I think that the TS-940 is very limited by its filter
selection for the cw op.  For SSB I really liked mine and found it very
effective.

-  Your filters on cw are either in or out, and there is no ability to
switch from 500 hz to 250 hz, which I do all the time in cw contesting.

-  Also, I don't think that there is provision for cascading 250 hz
crystal filters.

-  On my rig, which was tested to be in 100% good order, using the
bandwidth narrowning feature was not as good as having the right filter at
hand.

I ended up physically installing the 250hz filter, which meant that my cw
filter modes were either wiiiide open, or very tight.  I didn't like that
and sold the rig, which I otherwise really liked.

I think that this criticism doesn't apply outside of dx/contesting, and as
a general rig it was very nice.

73

N5IIT

Jpdalt@aol.com