[CQ-Contest] N6TR's QRP SS

Subject: [CQ-Contest] N6TR's QRP SS
From: W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Fri Nov 8 20:19:45 2002
Ed, although I pretty much agree with your conclusion, I am
wondering where you got the 30dB figure? The difference
between 5 watts and 160 watts is 15dB (about 2.5 S units on
a calibrated meter). A good long boom monobander will do
about 9dB over a dipole at the same height. That leaves about
6dB needed for operating skill to match an "A" power guy with
a dipole at a good height for SS. Of course most of the really
competitive "A" scores are probably from guys with moderate
to good antenna systems (TH-7/402CD). In those cases, the
difference between the EIRP of the 150 watt guy and the QRP
superstation are even larger, requiring the QRP superstation
operator (and location) to make up for something like 9 to
12 dB of EIRP deficit (if I had to calibrate Tree's operating
skill I would put it closer to 12dB).

The one big advantage in my estimation that a superstation like
W5WMU can give an SS operator is a lot of different antennas
to chose from. The guy with a single TH-7 (or dipole for that
matter) can't overcome the physics of his antenna height. At
certain takeoff angles, he will invariably have nulls in his vertical
pattern. The guy with stacks can bip-bop around and fill these
nulls in. This can make a huge difference as anyone who has
switched from an antenna that is too high to one that is at
optimum height can testify. Being able to quickly switch
azimuth direction doesn't hurt either.