[CQ-Contest] SS CW thoughts

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SS CW thoughts
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu Nov 14 09:02:38 2002
I understand that one of the major contests' log-checkers are planning to
test the "time machine" devices that were demoed at Dayton last year (I've
lost the URL).  These gadgets record 80 kHz of any band, 6 hours at a time,
on video tape, complete with timestamps.  Playback is through a receiver.

At least in theory, this technology would enable after-the-fact checking of
every QSO.  I can see doing this in a situation where log checking decides
the #1/#2 in a contest, but it seems to me that it would be way too
time-consuming for much broader use.  I still think that treating all
entrants the same, regardless of the details of the rules in a particular
contest, is fundamental to a perception of fairness.  In that respect, the
computer log-checking currently practiced by CQ and the ARRL remains the
gold standard.

73, Pete N4ZR