[CQ-Contest] Harrassment?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Harrassment?
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com (Jimk8mr@aol.com)
Date: Tue Nov 19 13:05:50 2002
Although rare on CW, I've even had it happen there.

At 9M6AAC in the 1999 CQWW CW,  I'd been running on 40 meters when the call
9M6AAC was dumped on my frequency.  Figuring it was someone unsure of our
call, I said "go ahead" in whatever form.  The caller kept coming back with
"9M6AAC", at which point I figured it was someone screwing around, and so I
just kept working the other callers as best I could.  Then the joker started
calling CQ de 9M6AAC.  I sat back and heard a few guys answering him as well,
though he did not pass out any exchanges. (I guess I just could have logged
them if he did??)

I tried again CQing myself, and he started CQing too.  By now he had
obviously set up his computer/memory keyer with an autorepeat CQ about every
20 seconds, but screwed it up to using the call 9M6AC.  By then I gave up,
and went to some other far away frequency or another band.  But I think I
checked back at least once and heard the auto-CQ still going on.

My favorite harrassment story is still from a DX contest a year or so ago at
K8AZ.  I was running on the high end of 20 SSB when some guy comes on with 25
wpm CW sending "F*** You" .  I ignored it the first few times, but finally I
came back and said "The station calling on CW, I'm sorry OM, but I just
upgraded from Technician and can't copy what you're sending.  QRZ from K8AZ".

I never heard him again, though a few minutes later some bozos fired up on
SSB for their net or regular schedule, rendering the frequency unusable.

73  -  Jim  K8MR

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---