[CQ-Contest] So2R

Subject: [CQ-Contest] So2R
From: jskatz@sk.sympatico.ca (Sylvan Katz)
Date: Sat Jan 25 14:16:36 2003
> The real trick is defining SO2R. If I have two rigs that are on
> during the contest, does that make me SO2R? Not necessarily.
> Perhaps I just listen occasionally on the second rig to see if
> another band is open. Would you want to discourage a "single

Oh gosh no. In fact with my old fashion 736 and TR I have ability to skip
around the bands at a fair clip. Perhaps I am a SO1.3R - no matter I do know
that I have a mainstream contesting station.

> operator" from doing that? Is that the same as a guy who
> is calling CQ on another band while he is copying the exchange
> from a yet to be completed QSO? How about the guy who

This is indeed wonderful skill! I have total admiration for contestants with
this skill. However, it also implies that the station set-up is some what
out of the ordinary due merely  to the fact that they can copy on one band
and transmit on the other. The sort of rf isolation can't be bought off the
shelf. It is an unusual class of operator AND an unusual class of station.

I can tell you this. If I was a skilled SO2R operator I sure would want to
know how my skills compared to those with a similar set-up and skill. I
would like to how my skills rated with in my unique class of station.
Similarly, a 'little pistol' with 100w, a tribander and a 30' tower wants to
know how he or she compares to with contestants with a similar set up. Why
mess up the fun for them? Get a class of your own :)

... Sylvan

Sylvan Katz, VE5ZX
Saskatoon, SK
http://www.dynamicforesight.com/~ve5zx