[CQ-Contest] RE: SO2R

Subject: [CQ-Contest] RE: SO2R
From: ken.claerbout@equant.com (ken.claerbout@equant.com)
Date: Mon Jan 27 10:55:17 2003
 The idea behind adding a second radio is to improve ones score.  While
Dave may be right that you will eventually wind up with a configuration
like he has outlined, the objective can be met with much less of an
investment.

>2nd Radio. It should be the same model as your first radio,
>but let's say you can get by with a used TS-850. -  $800
  I've used two different model radios since I've started SO2R.  If I
didn't own a second radio, I have no doubt I could borrow one from one of
the local guys.  I'm sure that holds true for almost all of us.  It's a
great way to go if you are just starting out.

>2nd Amplifier. It should have 160, and be reliable. You won't
>be happy for long doing S&P at low power, getting beat by
>the high power boys. Let's assume you can find an amp for $1000.
   I lost an amp several hours into ARRL SSB two years ago and figured I
was in big trouble as far as success with the second radio goes.   Not so!
You can work a lot of second radio QSO's and run of the mill mults with
just a barefoot rig.  Look at what the low power guys do!  Operator skill
still counts here.

>Bandpass Filters. Unless you have a large amount of real estate,
>with widely separated antennas, you are going to need bandpass
>filters for each radio. You won't be happy switching individual
>band filters every time you switch bands, so you really do need
>two six-band boxes, such as the Dunestar 600's, or
>equiv. - $678 for two.
 If one radio is used as your primary "run" station, there is very little
need to use a band pass filter on it.  Where you need good filtering is the
second station which is used primarily for S&P.  Do yourself a favor and
start with one BPF.

>More antennas. Chances are you will need more antennas to be able to
>S&P and CQ on any combination of bands. Figure at least another small
>tower, tribander, and rotor. Estate sale price - $1000.
   Maybe nice to have but certainly not necessary for starters.

>The total of the above items is $4490.
   Or without all of the bells and whistles for starters, $1351.  With few
exceptions, most of the successful single op contest stations started out
small and evolved over time.  If you make it your goal to improve as an
operator and add an improvement or two to your station each year, you're
headed in the right direction!
   On that note, I now resolve to tune out of this silly SO2R debate so I
don't get sucked in again.

73
Ken K4ZW