[CQ-Contest] Callsign Advantages

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Callsign Advantages
From: geoiii@kkn.net (George Fremin III)
Date: Mon Mar 10 13:13:51 2003
On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 09:39:14PM -0500, Sean-K8KHZ wrote:
> I have been a contester for really about 2-3 years. I was when I first
> started out. KC8MPQ. WHEW I got that all out.

I was WB5VZL for 20+ years.

> now I am K8KHZ. I have thought

This seems like a pretty good callsign.
Kinda hard to say but the KHZ is catchy as in could you move
down 8 Khz?

> about changing it again to another call area or something with a better
> prefix.

I think K is great prefix and if you are in 8 land then I
really like the fact that your call is K8

> something that might catch the ear of others. But is it all worth it
> at all? What is your thought on this.

If you really want to know the secret of a good callsign - it is one
where someone does not have to hear all of it to know who is calling.
You do this by getting on the air alot in alot of contests and
using whatever call you have.  I did it for 20 years with WB5VZL
and you know I bet that if I called in a pileup and all folks
heard was VictorZuluLima - they would know who is calling.

People have done very well in contests with all sorts of callsigns.

WA6VEF
WN4KKN
WB5VZL
W5KFT
WB5NXH
KZ5MM

Sometimes a longer call is a better callsign.

In fact KZ5MM is a very good example - I think KZ5MM is a much better
eye/ear grabber of a callsign than W5PR even though W5PR is shorter.

In any event I think it is best if you can get on the air
and be loud and get your callsign known.

You can play a fun game - throw out random bits of calls in a room
of active contesters and if they can fill in the rest.

In fact N5KO and I were on the phone a few months ago talking about
stuff like this and he said what I just said above.  And I
aggreed and then I said:

"Radio Victor Echo"

And N5KO responded with:

YS9RVE

I dont think either of us have worked this guy in over 20 years but
you know - if I heard "Radio Victor Echo" call me I would say

YS9RVE your 59 4

That is how well he got his callsign known.

Do I like K5TR better than WB5VZL?  Sure.  Do I think it is
as well known as WB5VZL?  Not yet.

I know this one ham, Dave Patton, and he has changed his callsign
like 100 times now and you know - I think he has given up
ham radio because you never hear him on the air anymore.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii@kkn.net