[CQ-Contest] Callsign Advantages

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Callsign Advantages
From: ab0mv@ix.netcom.com (Merrimon Crawford Pladsen)
Date: Mon Mar 10 15:50:15 2003
What mode do you operate the most?  Are there any letters of your call that
are particularly difficult for others to hear/need repeats?

I was KF4OAD.  The Oscar-Alpha combination wasn't always easily heard on
phone (esp. with my tiny bit of a Southern accent) but no problem on
CW.  More than the call was the ability to listen and find out what people
heard better or how to vary it to be heard.

  I did not really want to change it as I upgraded.  I switched to AB0MV
(random) when I upgraded to Extra, knowing I was moving from NC to
Colorado.  I just decided I wanted a call that reflected my new
district.  It's okay but I don't notice much difference.  I don't notice
it's any easier having a 2 x 2 versus a 2 x 3.  Actually, sometimes the
longer call seemed to get through a bit more at times.  I have worked at
big stations and often work with minimal antennas and power at home in
contests.  I don't see much difference in either situation between the two
calls.  The KF4OAD call did seem to get through a bit more on CW in
particular  No difference at all on RTTY.

I know shorter calls are supposed to be cooler but I don't see why in my
experience.

What has helped me the most is getting on the air and doing lots of
contests.  After a bit, people start recognizing your call when they get
some of it.....(of course, on phone my YL voice helps.....  Not to many YLs
contesting from 0-land).

73
Merri AB0MV