[CQ-Contest] Callsign Advantages

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Callsign Advantages
From: wd4ahz@gte.net (Ron Wetjen)
Date: Tue Mar 11 10:54:36 2003
Zack Widup wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Mark Beckwith wrote:

>>The deadliest choice is having any letter which ends with one or more dits
>>at the end of your call.  A call like this is most likely to be made
>>unrecognizable, because it is at risk of having a dit eradicated by on-air
>>conditions, and there is no letter after it for your brain to re-establish
>>the sender's rhythm, leaving the smarter brain with a question mark and the
>>less-smart brain with a copying mistake.
>>

> There is something to be said about callsign familiarity, as a previous
> post mentioned.  I do have trouble sometimes with the "Z" at the end of my
> call on CW, but in contests it seems a lot of people recognize it these
> days.

This is true!  When I bust a pileup, it's because my longer call "stands
out" from the drone of 1x2's and 2x1's ... and AHZ (or a portion of it)
comes through in the clear.  Being active on a fairly regular basis, the
regulars recognize AHZ (or a portion of it) and know it's "probably"
WD4AHZ!  The most problems that come from my call is the D being turned
into B and the H into S ... and NOT the Z (with dits) on the end.

Ron, WD4AHZ