[CQ-Contest] Callsign Advantages

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Callsign Advantages
From: VY2MGY@sympatico.ca (Brian Campbell)
Date: Wed Mar 12 19:11:25 2003
Well heres my take on the subject AKA .02 worth...

I got my call VY2MGY/3 [ /3 as I am in Ve3 land ] in 1998 especially for
contesting and I am the first to agree
with everyone that it is 1. a mouthful on SSB and 2. a handful on CW. I have
been considering a 3x2 VE3 or VA3
call for a while but in the last couple of years of contesting, with
QRM/QRN, especially on 160 either LP or QRP
[ yes QRP ] that if most people get either VY2 or MGY or even /3 they will
immediately ask if it is VY2MGY/3 which
makes it alot easier and faster for both stations and while just about
everyone comments that it is a mouthful they also say that it is definitely
unique and memorable. One station always makes a point to mention the
Titanics callsign - MGY [ Thanks Dave ] which is why a picked that suffix in
the first place. So am I between a rock and a hard place? I don't know but
now its a case
of an easier sounding call versus a call that most people seem to remember
from previous contests.

What do you think?

I think I'll stick with VY2MGY/3 for a while anyway....

See you all in the CQWPX SSB

73 de Brian
VY2MGY/VE3