[CQ-Contest] Unsportsmanlike conduct

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Unsportsmanlike conduct
From: eric@K3NA.ORG (Eric Scace K3NA)
Date: Mon Mar 31 06:16:04 2003
Hi Barry --

   You raised an interesting question which will likely stimulate many
messages.  I disagree with your recommendation for the
following reasons.

   I didn't operate the contest, so I didn't hear what EO6F said on the air
myself.  But I don't see where calling "CQ Contest No
USA" equates to unsportsmanlike conduct:

-- If he chooses not to work USA stations in the contest, his score suffers
much more than the score of any single USA station.

-- EO6F broke no law or radio regulation.

-- EO6F broke no rule of the contest.

   You and others may not agree with EO6F's operating tactics, or his personal
decision to operate the contest in a way that
reflects his personal concerns about the war.  But is this difference of views
a matter that warrants consideration of
disqualification?

   To disqualify someone on the basis of "CQ Contest No USA" (or even something
more polemic) can easily be viewed as a private
attempt at censoring what can, and can not, be said during the contest.
Freedom to express one's opinion is and freedom of assembly
with whomever one chooses are among the most basic rights in the USA's
Constitution.

   Disqualifying a contester for saying "CQ Contest No USA" seems both petty
and a poor reflection of the principles to which I hope
my country aspires.

73,
   -- Eric K3NA