[CQ-Contest] Changing hobby

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Changing hobby
From: snichols@mvosprey.com (Scott Nichols)
Date: Fri May 30 16:41:15 2003

Bill Turner wrote:

>It seems to me we've gotten away from our roots as Amateur Radio
>Operators.  Contesting, especially, has become a hobby of computers,
>internet, packet spots, local area networks, etc, etc.

Not only that, we've gotten away from actually building our own
stuff...Last thing I actually put together (other than simple switch
boxes, interfaces, cables etc) was an ACCU Keyer out of QST Magazine 23
years ago...And I am seriously considering a K2 for next Winter...In all
the pix of contest stations I've looked at over the last while, not much
homebrew gear...I'm as guilty as anyone...Building stuff is fun, but I'm
not sufficiently techno-savvy to design much...I miss Heathkit...

>Maybe I'm just getting old, but I miss the days when you would get on
>the air, put out some RF and see who you could work.  It's a different
>hobby nowdays and I'm not sure the change is for the better.

Again, I agree 100%...To this day, once in awhile I'll dust off my 26
year old FT-101 E (my first real radio), hook up an SWR/watt meter to
it, read the manual to figure out how to tune up the damn thing, attach
it to a 80m dipole and make a couple QSO's...Analog freq dial,  non-LED
power/ALC meter, no internal tuner, 2 minutes re-tuning to change
bands...(Those are my "good ole days", I can imagine how the
'30's/40's/50's generation will be laughing at me right now!!)

>There is nothing wrong with fooling around with computers - I do it
>myself - but some of the magic of pulling signals out of the ether
>disappears when you pull a spot off the computer instead.

After all I said above, I do find it very fun to spend a weekend with
the MP's, beams, amps and ESPECIALLY Telnet screens and 4 or 5 bandmaps
on the computer screen...I enjoy radio and I enjoy computers...I still
get amazed when I can see all this working together as slick as it
does...Work the world with a push of 2 buttons...The hobby has changed,
no question...It's bound to continue to do so...Is it less magical ? Not
for me, but that's only me...

Now, who's gonna be the first to try one of these new Icom 7800
something or others, that cost as much as 15 101 E's did 25 years ago ?
For that price ($10,000 USD is what I heard...???...), I hope there's a
super-compact built in 6.5 db gain yagi inside............

CU on the bandmaps...

Scott VE1OP