[CQ-Contest] Packet

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Packet
From: g4buo@compuserve.com (Dave Lawley)
Date: Sun Jun 1 06:04:13 2003
DF3KV wrote:

>Just make it legal to everybody.
>This was done in Germany with the WAE-Contest very successfully.

I disagree that it was successful. A lot of us stopped entering
the WAE contest when DARC took this step. Packet assistance
is fundamentally different from single operator. You're benefitting
from hundreds of people tuning the bands and finding stations
for you to work. This is what makes it essentially different from
other technological assistance such as auto band switching,
memory keyers, SO2R, etc.

K4WI wrote:

>I think that you all are missing the obvious... make it legal to use
cluster
>and spotting for all classes of entries and then no one is illegal.

Would you also suggest that drugs should be allowed in athletics
competitions? From the perspective of the single op. unassisted
class, the situations are comparable. There is a 'technological'
approach that can enhance your performance, but the rules do not
allow it. There is a small minority who we suspect are cheating, and
benefitting from this technology. The right thing to do, through the
contest committees, and K1TTT, and others, is to find and expose
the cheats.

Dave G4BUO