[CQ-Contest] SCOURGES OF CONTESTING, CHAPTER 2

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SCOURGES OF CONTESTING, CHAPTER 2
From: N7MAL@CITLINK.NET (N7MAL)
Date: Tue Jun 10 16:19:10 2003
Jim the sound you are hearing in the background is a standing ovation. I
thought briefly about participating in this 'thread' earlier and even
drafted a reply, but I let it die,  because I didn't want to hear from the
jailhouse lawyers who proclaim it's their right to use packet. In the early
days of packet I tried it and even thought it probably had a place but it
has been so 'bastardized' it is a totally useless medium. Here is an excerpt
from my draft response to the original thread:

What is the solution, it's simple: All USA domestic contest sponsors 'MUST'
outlaw packet for everyone. If there are no categories, or advantage, for
packet then packet spots should dry up. There also needs to be cooperation
from the packet sysops to turn-off USA domestic spots. Will it happen NO,
why, because the ARRL and CQ are both so paranoid they will not do anything
that could possibly have a negative impact on subscriptions. State QSO
parties and packet sysops won't stop the spotting because they don't want
the hassles from the packet community 'individuals'. Of course, as we all
know some of the 'individuals' are packet sysops.
Someone needs to take the first step, maybe a progressive contest group,
like CQP could be the first.

I can dream can't I ???????????

MAL                N7MAL
BULLHEAD CITY, AZ