[CQ-Contest] Weapons of Mass QSLing

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Weapons of Mass QSLing
From: wn3vaw@fyi.net (Ron Notarius WN3VAW)
Date: Tue Aug 12 22:18:31 2003
Ted,

I suspect you're going to get a LOT of different answers to that question,
and I think it's safe to say that almost everyone has their own favorite
program or means to do mass QSL'ing -- and each will have their own good
reason for doing it their way.

My method takes a touch more work, but as they say, it works for me.  I
still keep my logs in a dBase format database file, so after I convert my
contest log(s) to  a .dbf format (I have a little routine I use that
converts my Cabrillo file from CT to my own illogical dbf structure), I
simply use the mailing label routines from Visual dBase 5.7 to generate my
cards!

Where is the work required?  Usually some data massaging (such as deciding
whom to exclude... can't say that I 100% QSL contests anymore, as P40V,
HC8N, etc. are probably sick of seeing my card -- seriously, if I've already
got a station on a band/mode combo, I'm now excluding them them for obvious
reasons) some format decisions (such as what type of labels or cards, how to
lay them out, etc.), but I've done it enough times now that I'm comfortable
with my formats and routines.

dBase has fallen out of favor, but you can certainly do the same thing with
any recent flavor of Micro$oft Acce$$ or the database program of your
choice.  The key to remember, doing it this way means a touch more work, but
the trade off is to make things as flexible as you need them to be.

Good luck!

73, ron wn3vaw

Klaatu Barada Niktu