RE: [CQ-Contest] unique contacts and logging errors

To: <k1ttt@arrl.net>, <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] unique contacts and logging errors
From: "James Neiger" <n6tj@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 17:51:39 -0700
Exactly.  And if I may add another that I have used from Ascension from
time-to-time:

World Scouting Jamboree On The Air appears to occur annually the weekend
just before CQ WW SSB, and many very nice mults can be found, with their
scouts in the shack.  Ones that come to mind for me in the past are A9 and
ZD7.  Being the designated "consummate ambassador of contesting" that I am
(according to K1AR: don't blame me!), I've naturally felt compelled to talk
with these young scouts, for seemingly hours on end, all about Ascension
Island's fabled history, etc.  Their station host seems to pleased with what
I've done, so I tell "host" about the WW SSB contest next weekend, and
wouldn't it be nice if they got on, and please find/work me and any other
contesters with which they be so inclined.  I've been amazed how many have
reciprocated over the years, and I have a 'feel good' about speaking with
young scout after young scout.  Now HOW MANY of these gentlemen work only
me?  I have no idea.  Would this qualify  as one of the N6AA dreaded
'friends working friends'?  I hope not.  If I'm the ONLY guy in the contest
that my neighbor ZD7AA works, should I unfairly lose this QSO because it's a
unique?  I don't think so.

The hard working log checkers really put in the effort, and have made these
contests far more meaningful than they ever were.  They will acknowledge,
however, that their methodology (mostly computer driven) is NOT perfect.
They also acknowledge that some QSO's (really painful if they're multipliers
too) may get 'dumped' in error.

 But that's the way it goes, gang.

Jim Neiger   N6TJ