Re: [CQ-Contest] unique contacts

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>, "Merrimon Crawford Pladsen" <ab0mv@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] unique contacts
From: "Stuart Santelmann KC1F" <kc1f@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 22:44:27 +0100

> I have sometimes felt tempted to make one call and only one call in
> contests that penalize for unique calls.....and making that one call to
one
> of the contest managers of those contests that penalize for
> uniques......very tempting!

My understanding is that NOBODY is penalized for callsigns that are simply
unique, at least in CQWW and ARRL.  The interest in uniques by log checkers
is that most BAD callsigns are uniques, by virtue of the fact that they were
miscopied (or mis-sent), except for the cases where callsigns are routinely
miscopied the same way (BY1A from Jamaica, etc).  Somebody who actually does
log checking for CQWW or ARRL could help me out on this, or correct me if I
have it wrong.  The concept that there are penalties for QSOs that are
simply unique seems to be a persistent misconception that won't go away...

                                            Regards                Stu
KC1F