RE: [CQ-Contest] Re: LotW - Needs More Participation

To: "'Salina Physician Anesthesia'" <spa@tri.net>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] Re: LotW - Needs More Participation
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 11:04:23 -0400

> Perhaps I'm a bit paranoid about QSLing, but as I always send
> a couple of  green stamps along with direct QSLs and those go
> away with LoTW, maybe a bit of dis-incentive to go digital????

It may be a disincentive if one is "making a profit" on the cards.
However, I did an analysis of the "cost of confirmation" a few
weeks ago and it looks like this:

Including the cost of printing a card, envelopes, postage, labels,
etc. for a US station to a US manager I figure the cost:

                                Low          High
       QSL Card                $0.04        $0.25
       Labels (QSO/address)      .00          .10
       Envelopes (2)             .15          .15
       Printer consumables (?)   .00          .05
       Postage (SASE)            .74          .74
                                ------       -----
                  Total:       $0.83        $1.29

>From a US station to DX station/Manager:
                                Low          High
       QSL Card                $0.04        $0.25
       Labels (QSO/address)      .00          .10
       Envelopes (2)             .15          .15
       Printer consumables (?)   .00          .05
       Postage (air)             .80          .80
       IRC/G$                   1.00         2.00
                                ------       -----
                  Total:       $1.99        $3.35

Even if the DX station were simply replying to a card using
the postage/SAE provided, there is still the cost of card,
labels, etc.  I suspect most DX stations are lucky to "break
even"  on card requests at $2 per.

For US stations, the "round trip" cost of a bureau card is
probably around $0.50 (based on the cost to cards, postage
to ARRL outgoing bureau and the "per pound" charge) and I
doubt that DX station costs are much cheaper.

Thus, unless one is VERY rare and can command $5 per card,
I suspect there is an incentive to "go digital" for most
"common" DX stations.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK