Re: [CQ-Contest] LotW and Casual Guys (was Needs More Participation)

To: cq-contest@contesting.com,"Alfred J. Frugoli (KE1FO)" <frugoli@worldlinkisp.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] LotW and Casual Guys (was Needs More Participation)
From: R Johnson <k1vu@tmlp.com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 13:29:08 -0400
Al:
I certainly agree with your assessment that "Contesters and dx-pedetions are
only 20% of the
picture" and "The *casual* guy is the key to LOTW's success".

Unfortunately in my experience, the LoTW interest level of the 80% that make up
that
"casual guy" pool is unexpectedly low.

Of the 2 "Local Area Clubs", Club "A" has 2 LoTW users (including me) and Club
"B" has 0 users.

A few general observations that I been able glean thru conversations are:
1- Almost none Log at all "Electronically".
2- A few keep a paper log.
3- Almost none operate in contests, HF, VHF, 10-10, SMIRK and the like.
4- A few work Special Events and submit paper logs by USPS.
5- A couple chase 10-10#'s and one plays with collecting US Counties.
6- About 25% have HF capability, most with poor antenna systems.
7- About 75% have VHF/UHF FM Mobile/Base capability, NO CW or SSB.
8- About 99% have VHF/UHF FM HT's, but both club repeaters are dead most of the
time.
9- Most don't know, care, or work for DXCC. FEW expect to ever reach it.
10- Most don't belong to the ARRL
11- Both clubs have had their ARRL membership rate drop below the level for
ARRL Affiliation

My "Contesting Club", YCCC, has a great number of LoTW Users. I don't know the
exact percentage,
but I see a large number of club calls on the LoTW, YCCC, and this reflector.

One of my big disappointments with LoTW is the lack of use by the VHF/UHF/SHF
contesting
community. I don't why. I have uploaded my VHF contest logs from 1990 to date
with very
dismal results. The logs are there "Electronically", but not the commitment (my
assumption).

With the lack of a "Domestic QSL BURO", I thought the VHF+ community would have
jumped on
the LoTW bandwagon for VUCC and WAS conformations. STRANGE !!!

Just a few of my thoughts on how the "Casual Guys" might impact on the future
of LoTW.

73 Bob, K1VU
Ex:WA1OFR