Re: [CQ-Contest] Where are the JA's

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Where are the JA's
From: rin JG1VGX <jg1vgx@jarl.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 23:58:39 +0900
Hello all,

I've been following this thread and waiting someone who is a dedicated
JA contester might respond, which didn't happen, so I dare to write!
Please remember I am a newbie in contesting ;)

Regarding the housing limitation, yes, there are not so many big
stations like with 15m 7/7/7s etc, but there are several big stations
who have antenna farm like this.
http://www.dxcom.jp/fedxpfront/jh4uyb.html
http://www010.upp.so-net.ne.jp/TTRC/
http://jh6qil.hp.infoseek.co.jp/photo/ja6gceant.htm

KH6DV> I believe that there are still large numbers of well equipped JA
stations,
KH6DV> but that they are interested in DX chasing and to a much lesser degree
KH6DV> contesting.

I agree with this point. Don't know the reason.

KH6DV> I know that a lot of JA's complain that the contest period
KH6DV> for most world wide contests puts them at a disadvantage. We are still
KH6DV> contesting on Sunday when they have returned to their work routine, its
Monday
KH6DV> there. How many of us would get discouraged if we could only operate the
first day
KH6DV> of every major world wide contest.

I don't think this is the problem. For us it starts 9am Saturday morning
and ends 9am Monday. Normally we work on Saturday also. So beginning not
in Friday evening but Saturday morning is somewhat beneficial for us.
(one can work saturday morning and join in contesting afternoon, with
only 3-4 hours loss.)
Last hour Monday morning run is important but dedicated contester may
take an off on monday ;)
However, I have to say 24 hour contests are easier to participate.

Recently, domestic contests are also suffering from decreasing number of
participants. So this may be a trend.

73 rin JG1VGX (JA1ZLO op.)