Re: [CQ-Contest] Where are the JA's

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Where are the JA's
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 10:05:10 -0500
On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 09:40:22PM -0700, Michael Tope wrote:
> > The only explanation I can think of is that
> > the personal computer, video games (and maybe the mobile phone) drew their
> > interest away from ham radio. But why did all those people bother to get
> > their licenses in the first place?

Let's consider an analogy with television.  When I was born, it was a five
channel world.  When I got to junior high/high school, it was becoming a
fifty channel world with cable television (albeit not at my grandparents'
house in Yakima Valley.)  Today, with satellite or digital cable, it's a
500 channel world.  In the early 1970s, the NBA Finals used to get great
ratings in part because there were only five or so options available.
In the early 2000s, the NBA Finals get terrible ratings in part because
there are 500 choices for television viewing.

The same thing is happening in every form of entertainment or hobby activity.
People that 30 years ago might have been interested in ham radio not because
they especially loved radio or radio operation, but merely because it was
one of only a few technical, electronic hobbies available, or because it
was a convenient way to avoid pay phones or whatever, now have lots of
other options for their time and money.  We live in a 500 channel world now.

We have fewer hams now, and will probably have even fewer hams in the near
future, but those who remain are the ones who actually love radio and
radio operating for its own sake, and will be active and contributing and
involved.

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com