Re: [CQ-Contest] Bandpass filters for M/S or M/M environment

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Bandpass filters for M/S or M/M environment
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 16:30:16 -0500

> ICE via WX0B: model 419A, $228
> W3NQN via WX0B: set of 6 filters, $525 plus FM-6 switch, $165
> Dunestar model 600, $339
> All models are 200W capable.

> This is a large price variation for essentially the same product, so there
> must be a catch. Please let us know your experience with these products as
> well as your recommendation. Many thanks.

As W0UN pointed out the NQN filters are a bit better at filtering
and from the test he describes they might handle more power or mismatch
then either the Dunestart or ICE filters.

If you are M/M or M/S option is to just get the single band filters
and manually switch them when you change bands - this way you only
need one full set of filters and you do not need an FM-6.
I have done this many times for M/S and of course for M/M it is
the way to go.

As a Single op or a M/S where you have only two or three stations you
might find switched multi-band filters to be very useful.  I know that I
find that to be the case.

I use a pair of ICE-419 filters.

$228 x 2

compaired to:

$690 x 2

Made for an easy choice.

While I am sure the NQN filters and the FM-6 are very good I
could not justify that expense for my station.  I find that at my
station the 419's are working quite well in my two position
M/S or SO2R station.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii@kkn.net