[CQ-Contest] Field Day - Laptop Power Consumption

To: qrp-l@mailman.qth.net, elecraft@mailman.qth.net,cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Field Day - Laptop Power Consumption
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 22:13:34 -0400
        Do any of you folks have experience running
a laptop from battery power via an inverter?  I will be
operating Field Day from a remote location and cannot
use a generator.  I'll be using my K2 QRP with a fully-
charged 75AH deep-cycle marine battery topped off by
a 3W solar cell.  I'm planning to dedicate my RV's 84AH
battery to the laptop via an inverter.  I'll put the laptop into
maximum power-conservation mode but I cannot seem
to find any specs on what its power consumption may be.
The label on the laptop simply says "100-240V and 0.68-
0.37A" which I assume is at maximum power-consumption.
This implies about 70 Watts and I'm wondering if I can make
it through 24 hours even in max power-conservation mode.
Has anyone been down this road before?

If the 84AH battery dies, backup plans are:

1.  Run the laptop for 3 hours from its internal battery.
2.  Switch to a second laptop for another 3 hours.
3.  Switch to the 75AH battery if there is enough power
left for both the K2 and laptop.
4.  Switch to my truck battery...last resort since I also
need to get home!  ;-)
5.  Pencil and paper (ugh!)

Help please!

Bill W4ZV