Re: [CQ-Contest] Don't we need to change the sprint protocol?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Don't we need to change the sprint protocol?
From: "David A. Pruett" <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 12:34:54 -0400
I agree with John that full QSK makes it possible to detect a quick acknowledgement of a Sprint exchange. However, I did the senior design project for my BsEE in college on QSK systems and learned that doing it correctly at legal-limit levels is not always straightforward. I've known all too many people who have toasted PIN diodes at the 1500W level. Also "mixing and matching" allegedly "QSK capable" transceivers and amplifiers from different manufacturers is no assurance of proper operation. I wonder how many cases of key clicks we hear on the air are the result of improperly operating QSK systems in full power stations?

At K8CC I have the next best thing - T/R control using my logging program which drops out with the trailing edge of the last CW element. I'm not claiming this is as good as QSK, but it should be good enough to ALWAYS hear a legitimately sent confirmation of an exchange.

I've been using this system for the past five years and have come to the conclusion that certain people either don't send an acknowledgement (they're off finding their next QSO) or send it before I've finished sending.

Sending an acknowledgement in such a way that the receiving station is in a position to hear it IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE SENDING (i.e., the acknowledging) STATION. As the one looking for the acknowledgement, I'll do my part by getting the T/R delay near zero.

In the past, if the conditions were such that I was confident that other station got my exchange (clear channel, strong signal, etc.), I'll have to confess that I left the QSO in my log. But that's not right, so in the future if I get no acknowledgement, and I ask again with no response, the QSO goes into the bit bucket. My conscience is clear, my NIL risk is zero and the other guy is in trouble when I send in my log.

Having said all this, I've never had problems getting acknowledgements from the really good CW Sprinters like N6TR, N5TJ, the late W4AN and others. The really good guys know how to do it right.

Dave/K8CC