Re: [CQ-Contest] The Next BIG Step in contesting

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Next BIG Step in contesting
From: "Leigh S. Jones" <kr6x@kr6x.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 22:01:45 -0800
I don't really believe that the issue with most contesters in the US
is whether
packet is fair or unfair anymore.  That may be an issue in some places
in the
world -- perhaps at a dxpedition to Madagascar or some Indonesian
Island.
Even if that issue is slowly losing it's truth, the issue of whether
packet is
really fun will remain, and will motivate many contesters until they
are silent
keys.  The simple truth is that packet isn't fun for many who began
their
contesting  years before packet became widespread.  There's no denying
that the genie is out of the bottle, and this hasn't benefited the
purists.  The
technology leaps onward -- in truth, packet isn't even aptly named
anymore.
Packet has been technically trumped by internet spotting networks and
is
now a thing of the distant past, a mere contributor to the
international
internet.  But abuse and cheating are two different issues that are
separated
by the difference between rules and ethics.  Packet abuse is common,
but
not clearly defined.  Packet cheating is present though rare and
presents
a more attractive target.  K1TTT's efforts seem to target "apparent"
cheaters rather than abusers.