[CQ-Contest] RE: Leaderboard Live

To: "Gerry Hull" <gerry@w1ve.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] RE: Leaderboard Live
From: "Rich Dailey, N8UX (2)" <redailey@alltel.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 23:00:06 -0500

As Randy stated, I did build such an application for Writelog, called
"Leaderboard Live".  It showed all participants Writelog score in real time
on a web page, as well as in a window within Writelog.   I tried it for a
season of contests, but the interest was limited.

Yes! I thought that was a fantastic idea, and I was surprised it didn't
catch on. Perhaps it was a bit before it's time. I was not even a writelog user,
and I thought it was an awsome concept! I think it's time to chew on this
idea some more. There was/is a realtime www log interface for
N1MM Logger that seemed to work very well for a couple dxpeditions, and
I thought that was quite interesting.

I still have the code lying around -- what would be more interesting, to me,
as a start, would be to have a contest which is score VALIDATED in real
time.  In this case, your actual QSO entries are sent to a central web site,
and verified against the other participants logs.   Then, as soon as the
contest ends, you have FINAL results!  What could be cooler than that?

I think just as cool, and perhaps more essential, would be callsign authentication.
Could we depend on the honor system here? Who might decide to upload
a N8UX contest log of their own, rendering my scoreboard bar graph (or whatever
graphic is used) totally inaccurate? Would we be looking at LoTW level complexity
here? Could LoTW itself be implemented in some way? Could an acceptable level
of authentication be achieved (at least for the assisted entries) by "sniffing" data from
the cluster network? And of course we wouldn't know the whole story at the end of the
contest because not every contester would use it - but I bet most everyone in the top 100
would be there. I'm just thinking out loud.

I'm all for it, 100 percent.

Rich