RE: [CQ-Contest] The Next BIG Step in contesting

To: "Randy Thompson, K5ZD" <k5zd@charter.net>,"Gary Letchford" <gary@letchforddesign.com>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] The Next BIG Step in contesting
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 08:33:46 -0500
I'm hesitant. So much of being a successful contester is knowing when to go get the hard double mult on 40, or when to put which radio on which band, etc. Do we really want to make that all transparent to all competitors? It would be a little like allowing the other team into your huddle.

Maybe a fun middle ground would be to limit the information that is available in real time. Post scores by station, but have more detailed information available only in the aggregate, until after the contest is over. Then, I can visualize a bunch of fascinating comparisons that might even be semi-automated, such as bar charts giving comparative rates by hour for any two big stations. Even then, I'm sure some folks might not want their specific strategic or tactical choices to be visible. Perhaps a station could be empowered to decide what info is made available -- QSO rate info, for example, but no band info.

73, Pete N4ZR