RE: [CQ-Contest] The Next BIG Step in contesting

To: "'Doug Smith W9WI'" <w9wi@earthlink.net>,"'cq-contest'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] The Next BIG Step in contesting
From: "Alfred J. Frugoli (KE1FO)" <ke1fo@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:01:26 -0500
>It looks to me like we're talking about more than one thing here.  What
>do we want?

>- Real-time scoring?

NO. My contest software already does this.  Giving me real time UBN feedback
would change contesting, because knowing I miscopied the serial number  of
the double mult I just worked would case me to jump back into the pileup
where I might not have otherwise.

>- Instant final results? [1]

YES.  Or at least more quickly than is currently available.  Real-time
upload of log info and score calculation immediately post contest would
eliminate lots of log massaging opportunities that might be construed as
cheating.

>- More detailed real-time information?
>  (do you want to know I have 348 QSOs in 35 sections, or do you want
>   to know my last QSO sent "507 Q K4TCG 98 TN"?)

What I envision is a page grouped by operator class that shows the top 10
stations sorted by score and showing their total overall score.  No mult/q
breakdown, no band breakdown, just the overall score.  There could also be a
separate page for each operator class that lists EVERY station reporting a
score in that category.

What would be really cool is a "commentator" for each category that has
access to more detailed information (i/e band breakdowns, rates, etc.) that
the commentator would utilize to write real-time exciting updates on the top
battles in each category.  It would be like listening to a football game on
the radio - you only get the information that the commentator gives to you.

73 de Al, KE1FO