Re: [CQ-Contest] The Next BIG Step in contesting

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Next BIG Step in contesting
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 20:22:37 -0500

On Nov 19, 2004, at 8:33 AM, Pete Smith wrote:

I'm hesitant. So much of being a successful contester is knowing when to go get the hard double mult on 40, or when to put which radio on which band, etc. Do we really want to make that all transparent to all competitors? It would be a little like allowing the other team into your huddle.

Depends on the granularity of the scoring and how much detail is provided. It's quite possible to do the scoring infrequently enough and summarized enough to conceal crucial operating information.

I know from operating at NQ4I that some of the M/Ms either call or e-mail each other with scoring information during the course of the contest. And there are tales of the late W4AN conversing with other contestors in instant messaging while contesting.

If nothing else, it sounds like fun, and isn't that what contesting is all about?

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901