Re: [CQ-Contest] Stimulating Participation was: LimitedAntenna Height Ca

To: dezrat1242@ispwest.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Stimulating Participation was: LimitedAntenna Height Category
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 12:34:44 -0500
I acknowledge that ARRL would be "letting down their guard" to some extent if they allowed block transfers of matched CQWW QSOs, but at some point in any such exercise I think you have to ask how much you are giving away for the last 1 percent of security. After all, how likely is it that somebody would cook both ends of a QSO in CQWW and then have both logs sent in, simply to fake out the DXCC system? I suppose you could even carry it a step further and have some internal rules about not crediting QSOs where both ends are uniques, or perhaps other checks could be accomplished.

Its worth remembering that ARRL used to credit ARRL DX Contest QSOs for DXCC, if both logs were sent in and matched. To my knowledge, it was workload, rather than any particular scandal(s), that brought the end of that practice. Has the morality of the amateur community really declined so much that ARRL no longer dares even consider such a thing?

73, Pete N4ZR

10:59 AM 11/30/2004, you wrote:

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:46:57 -0500, Pete Smith wrote:

>A harder problem may be achieving the requisite
>level of trust between the two organizations, even though things seem much
>better now than in the past, when ARRL would not even mention CQ contests
>in QST.

The ARRL would have to give up their Trusted QSL protocol, wouldn't
they?  How would you get around that?

--
Bill W6WRT