RE: [CQ-Contest] ARRL v. contesters

To: "W7TMT" <w7tmt@dayshaw.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] ARRL v. contesters
From: asciibaron@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 12:50:43 +0000
> Congratulations! What about others? Have you considered that
> some others might need just a little bit of extra help to
> "see the light" that you were fortunate (or gifted enough)
> to stumble upon? Or do you think that if someone does not
> "get it" immediately and therefore "seek it" they are less
> worthy?

there are always exceptions.  the assertion that the 2m repeater crowd needs a
bit of extra help does not ring true.  my co-worker who pushed me to get into
the hobby thinks my contesting efforts are a terrific waste.  i have preached
the contesting gospel since my first one (a state QSO party in 2003 which i
worked 2m FM mobile).  i have invited several EXTRA CLASS hams to my shack to
join in the fun of contesting - i have been told i'm wasting my time and
getting in the way of their nets.

i have tried to get others involved and have been labeled as a bad apple
because i enjoy contesting.  time to reciprocate the warm fuzzy i guess.

> off reflector notes this afternoon from folks who started
> out as No Code Techs or whatever but who stated that someone
> took them under their wing to help them move up the ranks
> from the SOTB group and they owed their progress and success
> in Contesting/Dxing to that kind of support.

by definition, to be taken under a wing one must want to be taken under a wing.
 you can't show someone something if they want no part of it.  again, you can't
make them drink the kool-aid.

> Given all the whining about the loss of "the old days" I

i am 32 and have been a ham for 1.5 years.  i know nothing of the old days.  i
am the future of contesting - why am i into ham radio and contesting?  it's the
thrill of the hunt and knowing that it is all my own doing.  if i can't get the
mult in VY2, it's because i didn't do enough to find it.

the future contesters for the most part will only be in the SOTB phase for as
long as it takes them to get on HF.  these hams are the ones that will seek out
help.  how did they come to be a ham in the first place?

anyone want to buy an HT, blinking light helmet sold separately.

-steve
KB3KAQ